As he limped through finishing the day's paperwork, his door slid open without warning.

He immediately swiveled around, on high alert- no one should've had clearance for his room-

" Masterson."

...He was still unused to the depth of Nova's voice. His strange accent. He didn't like the way it made him feel.

" Yes?" he scrambled to make his desk less messy, tripping over himself as he stood, cursed himself under his breath.

Nova gave him a very unflattering look, holding his folded cape. He at least had the decency to close the door after he came in.

Actually, that made William a bit more nervous. It made him realize he'd never been alone with Nova before.

" I brought your cape back, since it's late," Nova said. " I assume you'll want it in the morning."

" Ah. Yes. Thank you."

He took it and stared at him for a moment, unsure of what else to say.

" I'm surprised your raeli isn't here. She hovers around you at all other times of the day."

William looked at him in confusion.

" My what?"

" Your partner, the little woman with long black hair." A pause. " Though most humans look little to me."

William could do nothing but stare at him for a moment.

... Did he really give off the impression of being that close with Kirie? That was more embarrassing than the fact that he had spilled coffee on a prince.

" It's not anything like that! Kirie and I are just close since we attended the same school- I'm not... I..." he found himself stumbling over his words as his face reddened, cape heavy in his hands. He tried to find a way to explain himself and came up with nothing.

Nova, of course, seemed entirely unconcerned that he had caused him so much embarrassment.

" You're the same age? I don't see how that woman could be of a lower rank than you. The DASS must be suffering from critical levels of mismanagement."

He stretched, and turned to leave.

" It's of no real importance. I have other matters to attend to."


Return......Next