Lt. Honda was sent out to speak with Diurn, and Nova knew immediately that this would be a problem. The only way it could've been worse is if William had sent one of the Starka women from Thera.

" The Commodore General said the duel venue will be our gymnasium," she informed him.

He did not so much as glance at her, instead staring a hole straight through Nova's head.

Nova barely noticed; a great pit of despair and agony had formed in his stomach, gnawing at him. Somehow, not seeing William around anywhere was making him feel even more anxious. Hackled.

" He'll meet you there at the start of the duel," she said, voice as steely as a human's could get, and then she looked over to Nova. " Lyena-Nova, he wants to speak with you beforehand. If you wish to as well, you should go to the locker room."

Nova hated how Diurn's eyes fell on him. The accusation that blared out from his gaze.

The mere concept of it- of being with William Masterson- was alien and unwelcome. Even if William was... Well, William wasn't open to it. There was no way he would be. As much as he lacked honor and professionality, he was still DASS.

Furthermore, he was a helpless, annoying mess, with a gratingly pleasant personality, and, it pricked at the corners of Nova's mind, that if- if- he really had been the one who achieved that victory at Thera, then he'd sooner face him in a duel than entertain any notion of attraction. Of raeli.

" I suppose I'll entertain his last words," Nova said drily, standing. " Though I doubt he's got anything of real importance to say."

Diurn gave him another one of those looks; made his skin crawl.

God, he would hate being back in the Empire. Having to actually do things. His current lifestyle as a cultural ambassador was much less stressful, even if it left him feeling restless. He hated each and every one of his brothers and their petty feuds.

He hated his Queen Mother for making more of them.

Under the DASS non-aggression pact's sapient rights bill, she could take birth control. Nova chalked it up to willful and particular hatred towards him that she did not.


Return......Next