" I should warn you before we go aboard, Wille, that Diurn is the most conservative of our lot," Nova said. " His ideas about women, in particular, are not up to DASS standards."

" Wille? When did you start calling me that? It's a cute nickname."

Nova bristled.

" It is not a cute nickname, it's simply how your name would be transposed to the Storam naming system," he said. " It's easier to say that way. And I'm telling you to steel yourself in case anything has happened to the Lyeha."

" What's her name again? Lisa?"

" It's Lesa."

" That's barely a difference."

" Be more respectful. I may not think much of her, but she is still royalty."

" Imperialist."

Their argument was cut short by the notification that Diurn's ship had docked with theirs again.

Nova turned on his heel and strode out to meet him.

" Wait, wait, I'm still dragging this a bit, modern medicine can't fix everything..."

" My stride's longer than yours, anyway. I'm not going to walk slower just because you happen to be temporarily invalid."

They stood in front of Diurn's ship. The man himself walked out shortly, flanked by two attendants. His mouth had mostly healed, but the scars on either side of it were deep, twisted rivers running through flesh.

" Lyena. Commodore General. I've brought the Lyeha. You may go in and fetch her," he said coldly. His eyes burned into William with a mixture of hatred and fear.

At least he'd been tempered by how badly he'd lost the duel. William felt no small amount of pride at that.

" We'll be boarding for a moment, then," Nova said.

William noticed Diurn observing his limp as he followed Nova in. No doubt he was scheming something.

Which was of no real consequence, of course. The fleet would be swinging back into deep DASS territory when his next star course was approved. He wanted to set foot on a planet, or at least colony outpost... Feel real, solid ground under his boots. Siluria would be a good spot. Had lots of cities.

The Starka ship was sleek on the inside, tall and narrow; it was completely different from the boxy wide open spaces of the DASS's vessels. Everything was in dark colors.

An attendant bowed to them.

" Lyena, the Lyeha's room is this way," he said, taking the lead.

" Is she ready to come with us?" Nova asked.

" As ready as something like that could ever be," the man answered, with apparent disdain.

" Speak more respectfully in front of the DASS's Commodore General," Nova said, annoyed. It somehow made William glad to hear him talk down to someone else that way.

" Of course, Lyena."

They stopped in front of a door.

Nova opened it.

The room was dark, and empty. There was a girl laying on the floor in a pile of thin blankets, curled up in a ball. Her hair was dark and thick the way Nova's was, but unkept and much longer.

Nova made a face as if he was disgusted.

" He's treated her even worse than I had heard," he said, and then raised his voice. " Lesa. We've arrived to escort you off the ship. You've been remanded to my custody for now."

She stirred, shaky, and sat up. She was nude.

William found it hard to believe that royalty would be treated in such a way, though he reminded himself that Nova's deep seated hatred of his older brother had to come from somewhere.

" Here," he said, stepping forward as he undid his cape. He dropped his voice to be softer, and more reassuring. " We'll get you something to wear in a moment. Cover yourself with this."

" Ah... Lyena..." Her eyes drifted over to Nova as William pulled it around her shoulders. Her voice was soft and crackly from disuse. She seemed to be seeking an affirmation from him.

" Wille, hurry up," Nova said. " I would prefer if we left as quickly as possible."

The girl, standing was barely as tall as William, and pitifully thin; the cape wrapped around her was nearly touching the floor. He knew that from a Starka perspective she must've looked excruciatingly small.

" Have some patience, Nova," William fired back at him. There was no way she'd be able to keep up with his stride.

" Would it kill you to use my formal title just once? Let's get the Lyeha out of this place and send Lyewa-Diurn on his way."

" Of course, of course."


Return......Next