CddrsĂȘ was in the medical center, wrapped up in a shock blanket and shivering. She jumped a little when William came in, visibly frightened.

He tipped his head, smiling politely.

" Come on now, I'm not that scary, am I?" he asked, cheerful.

" I-I-I'm sorry," she said, curling up into as small a ball as she could manage. " I'm sorry. I'm sorry. Commodore General, I'm sorry. I didn't know what else to do. I'm sorry."

He sat down across from her, and shooed the very worried looking doctor away.

" What for?" he asked.

" Fl... Fleischer," she said. " It was my fault. I... I didn't know what else to do to stop him because he started acting weird, I was scared, I didn't wanna die..."

" Who shot first?" William asked.

" He... He shot... Marchel," CddrsĂȘ said, starting to cry. " He started laughing and shot Marchel. I was friends with Marchel. I didn't know what else to do. I was scared. I'm sorry."

" If it's reasonable self-defense, then it's nothing to apologize for," William said. " I assume he unsealed?"

" I- I don't know," she said. " I'm sorry. I'm sorry. I'm sorry."

" Did you notice any significant changes when the fire began?" William asked.

" I- I don't know, I'm sorry," she said, shaking.

He sighed, as it was apparent she was too scattered to provide him with any useful information.

" I can have a medical leave of absence issued for you," William offered.

" I- I want to leave," she said. " I don't... want to do this anymore. I can't do this anymore. If I have to kill people I care about, if I have to see them die, I can't do it... I can't... I'm sorry, Commodore General, I can't... Let me leave... I'm sorry..."

She was trembling as though she expected to be hit.

" That's fine," William responded. " You are aware this was a classified operation and not to be spoken of outside my direct presence, correct?"

" Y-yes," she answered smally. " I won't... I won't ever speak of it. I won't. I promise I won't."

" That's good. I'll have your ship's captain send over the paperwork for an honourable discharge and arrange benefits, then," he said. " If you have any other recollections about the situation before your transfer back to the Metallurgica, please call for me."

He left.

Return......Next