" Everything's my fault, isn't it," Nova said.

Kaama helped him wash blood from his still healing body.

" It's not your fault," Kaama replied quietly.

" I... killed someone else," Nova said.

" It's not your fault," Kaama replied quietly.

" Is this all I'm good for? Hurting other people? You were right, before... Ifrit ruined me," Nova cried.

" It's not your fault," Kaama replied, again.

His hand graced slightly over where the flesh of Nova's shoulder was still knitting together, and the younger man winced.

" Don't touch there," he said.

" It was an accident," Kaama answered. He looked down sympathetically at how Nova had curled up in the dark red water.

" Kaama..." He appeared to want to say something, but did not.

" I'm sorry for how I treated you after you fought Lyewa-Redlin," Kaama said.

" You were right," Nova said.

" You're a grown man, don't cry," Kaama scolded, though his tone was one of concern. " It wasn't... This, with Arvyer, How could you have foreseen something like that?"

The wash cloth sank down into the water as Kaama reached up to cradle his face.

" I... I never wanted to kill anybody, Kaama," Nova said, his normal composure starting to crack. " I never wanted to kill anybody. I never wanted to kill anybody. I never wanted to kill Ifrit. I never wanted to kill all those people from the 4th Fleet. I never wanted to kill anybody. I never wanted to kill anybody."

Kaama pulled him closer, wet hair soaking the front of his shirt.

He didn't say anything.

Nova wondered if he could say anything.

The air was heavy, and the silence was long.

" I still love you," Kaama said.

" I know," Nova answered.

" I'll still wait for you every time you leave," Kaama said.

" I know," Nova answered.

" No matter who you come back with," Kaama said.

" I know," Nova answered.

" As long as you promise there'll come a time where you stay," Kaama said.

" I promise," Nova answered.

" Do you want me to get in with you?" Kaama asked gently.

" Yes," Nova answered.

Return......Next