... Henry did not get to leave in the morning.

He slept in the chair by the bed, and so did not notice at first; but after he was done getting ready, he realized Aislin hadn't so much as made a sound.

" Aislin? We need to be getting ready-"

He saw that the man's face was flushed and his lips parted. When he put the back of his hand to his forehead, he was burning up with fever.

He sighed deeply, suppressing a waver of anxiety.

There was a knock on the door.

He went over and answered it.

" I brought up breakfast for you, Henry," the little innkeep girl said, looking tired but amiable.

" ... You'll have to give me a moment," Henry said. " My companion's unexpectedly caught fever."

" Will you need to be staying longer?" she asked, standing on her tiptoes to look over his shoulder with concern. " I can call a doctor if you need me to."

" If we could stay through the day... I'll let you know by afternoon if we need to stay longer," Henry said. " My apologies for the trouble."

He let her bring the breakfast in and set in on the table; she cast a few furtive glances at Aislin, as though curious, and then went on her way.

" Tell me if you need anything. I can call a doctor if it's serious," she said as she closed the door behind her.

Return......Next