Nova stared at him.

The fact was, five years ago at Thera...

" I keep embarrassing myself in front of you," William bemoaned. " It's pathetic, isn't it? I'm such a miserable excuse for a Commodore General..."

Nova's memories of the incident were heavy and blurred with adrenaline, overshadowed by the many duels with his brothers he had had to endure in the aftermath.

The historic battle at Thera, a fringe colony that had been established under his rule at his uncle's insistence, had been the turning point in the DASS-Storam conflict. A stalemate that had raged for 500 years was brought to an abrupt close by the most crushing defeat their dynasty had ever faced.

At the time, he had heard that the commander of the DASS fleet had been killed in action, and a new captain had assumed control in the following chaos.

At this point, his father had taken command from him, and shunted him back off to the palace. Within the next two weeks, he had received word that the territory had been occupied, and his remaining forces routed. His father ceded the territory.

Within the next year, there was a non-aggression treaty that everyone in the imperial family had signed off on, excluding the stubbornly traditionalist Diurn.

It had seemed strange, how that had turned it so quickly... But the shame of losing the war had then been eclipsed by the trials he went through to keep his station as Lyena.

William, small and light, was leaning over the railing so carelessly he could easily be pushed.

Down to the garden, a floor below.

" Nova?"

Nova stared at him.

" You have other Starka on board?" he asked, changing the subject.

William seemed relieved, his expression becoming less drawn, and went along with the change.

" Well, yes? I know you don't associate much with the rank and file, but we have quite a few women from Thrace, for whatever reason," he said. " The cadet I mentioned earlier was one of them."

That would've been someone born when the territory was under his control. The thought pricked at his skin.

" Having so many women around seems like a hassle. As much as they seem to like you," Nova said drily, covering the tightness in his chest. " Though personally, I've always found that to be a hassle as well."

" You should try to speak with them, now that we're all on friendly terms," William suggested.

" I doubt they'd be happy to see me," Nova replied, deadpan. " If they really do consider themselves liberated."

William got a bit closer to him.

" If anyone had a problem with you bring onboard, they'd've complained by now," he said cheerfully. " So it seems th-"

Nova could not stand how he walked.

He was clumsy, easily predictable, every movement creating an opening. Perhaps it was his restlessness, that made him default to seeing things like he was in a duel- he couldn't bring himself to feel at ease, even though he felt no hostility from William Masterson whatsoever.

It was more like, he couldn't square it in his head- how someone so oblivious, so incompetent, vulnerable, could hold such a high position in the DASS military. Could even allude to being at Thera...

" You're boring me, Commodore General. I'll take my leave now."

He cut him off midsentence, making his annoyance clear, yet William did not falter; the same tired, vaguely anxious smile plastered across his face.

" Oh, my bad. I didn't mean to... bore you. I've never been good at conversation..."

" Good night, William."

" Ah, yes. Right. Good night, Nova."

... Though they were in space, and the difference between night and day was only delineated by a setting on the ship's clocks.


Return......Next