He'd been stuck in bed for three days, and hadn't seen Nova once the entire time. The second he was cleared to walk without assistance, he made a beeline straight to where he knew he'd be.

" Nova," he called out to him. The lyena was in the ship garden, stretched out for an afternoon nap in the false sunlight.

Nova, who had looked to be completely asleep, practically jumped out of his skin.

" What are you doing up walking around?" he demanded.

" Looking for you," William replied simply. Nova flicked his ear, annoyed.

" I have no business with you, though. Begone."

" Don't be so cruel, Nova," William said. " I've been worried all this time about what I could've done to offend you. I don't want you to be angry with me."

He sat down next to him.

" So you want me to be furious with you, then?" Nova asked.

" How mean," William complained.

" Yes, I'm terrible," Nova said flatly.

" The absolute worst."

" You're just as bad, you know."

" Am I?"

" Look at yourself. You've spent the past few days tormenting me as much as possible. You've hung off of me, not using any formalities, in front of my older brother. I'm sure Diurn is trying to connive some way to ruin me politically at this very moment," Nova rambled drily.

" I'm sorry that I've caused you so much emotional turmoil," William said, smiling mildly.

" You sound very sincere about that."

" But I am," William insisted. " I just lose myself a bit when I'm chasing something I want."

" Is that so?"

" Oh, yes."

" Prove it, then."

" And how I should do that?"

" How do you think?"

" Well, suppose, by..."

" By leaving me alone to take my afternoon nap, perhaps?" Nova suggested, and he turned away from him.

" I'm making an effort, don't be so frigid," William complained, carelessly throwing his arms over Nova's side; he felt his muscles tense. " Nova..."

" If you want any praise from me, you'll have to make a much stronger effort," Nova said, deadpan.

" Is it not enough that my ankle got crushed by your brother? And the entire right side of my body is one big bruise..."

" You shouldn't have been showing off in an unhinged attempt to charm me."

" Who told you I was doing that?"

" You did."

William huffed, and sank down over him.

" But you do like me, don't you?"

" I don't know, Commodore General William Masterson. Do you like me?"

" I'm literally throwing myself onto you. What more do I need to do?"

" How about letting me take my nap?"

A pause.

" You're so spoiled," William complained.

" I could say the same of you, and you aren't even royalty."

" I have a right to be lazy."

" Aren't you even embarrassed to be flinging yourself all over me like a kitten with attachment issues? We are technically in public. Have some decorum."

" Nobody comes through here this time of day."

" When did you suddenly decide to be so affectionate? Just let me sleep."


Return......Next