" ... Surprised to see you without him around," Nova snarked.

He was on the starboard first layer, watching the stars outside through thick monitors, panes.

" ... I have a life, you know," Kirie replied. " I guess you aren't much privy to it."

She sat down next to him.

" Is there something you want to talk about?" he asked shortly.

" I just wanted to know. If William was serious or not," she replied.

" Is he ever? He's a complete airhead."

" ... Do you really like him so much, Lyena-Nova?"

There was a certain silence as he contemplated her words.

" ... Even if I did, it's none of your business. Just his and mine. Regardless of how long you've known him."

She sighed.

" I thought you might say something like that."

" Rude."

She turned to look at him.

" Lyena, I don't really think you should get involved with him," she said. " He doesn't have any regard for the feelings of other people, and when he's done with them, he always leaves me to clean up his messes. You've only known William for two months now, and you haven't seen him for how he really is. When your tour as cultural ambassador is over, I would like for you to leave with a positive view of DASS, and of humanity, and I feel like... As much as I love and respect him... He's going to end up hurting you, and things will end on a negative note."

" Wow, do you go around sabotaging all his relationships like this?" Nova asked drily. " You just sound jealous."

She looked hurt.

" It's not that. I'm strictly only friends with him, you know, and neither of us have ever wanted anything more than that. I've just. Out of everybody, I've known him the longest, and I know he still really doesn't know how to be a person, even if he's good at acting like he does."

" Don't you think that's a bit presumptuous on your part, Lieutenant?"

"... Probably."

She fiddled with her drink.

" I apologize for bothering you, Lyena. I really am concerned for the both of you, though. I can't help but worry. ... I feel that it's all I'm good for sometimes."

Nova huffed, leaned against the railing. A vague uncomfortable feeling was itching at his skin.

" It's not as though I'm your family. You have no reason to be."

She smiled weakly.

" Ah, but if you are with William, it's a package deal, Lyena. You have to put up with my worry as well."

His tail flicked.

" I can't say I understand humans."


Return......Next